Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Front Desk Team
Thumbtack Front Desk is a brand new offering that provides our professionals and their businesses with a virtual front desk service to engage with their clients. The Front Desk team delivers best-in-class services to our pros by engaging with interested customers and converting them to booked jobs. We’re a fast-paced team that delivers a high-quality experience so that pros can focus on what they do best while customers get the answers they need to find the right pro for their projects.
About the Role
As a Chat Specialist, you will play a critical role in making sure that customers who contact pros on our Front Desk service receive high quality responses and engagement. You will have the opportunity to work on an exciting new service we’ve launched to improve the customer experience on Thumbtack by helping them get to faster resolutions with the pros they want to work with. By delivering fast, high-quality messages and engagement to customers, we help increase conversion and ROI for our pros.
- Ensure that pros enrolled in the Front Desk Service receive best-in-class messaging service by responding to customers who contact them in a fast, high-quality manner according to company guidelines and pro’s preferences or instructions
- Be able to concurrently respond to multiple customers on behalf of pros’ businesses to respond to, engage, and resolve customer enquiries according to pros’ preferred resolutions
- Maintain a deep understanding of the Thumbtack Front Desk Service and keep abreast of updates to the service in order to operationalize changes and messaging effectively
- Resolve concerns of customers and pros through, chat, e-mail, and SMS
- Ensure that requested updates to pros’ messaging or service are processed in an efficient and timely manner
- Use all relevant resources and knowledge centers in addressing various user concerns
- Gather feedback about the platform, tools, and processes that will help improve the overall customer/Pro experience
- Contribute as a team member by engaging in coaching sessions, team meetings, team building activities, and other team and company events
- Demonstrate accountability by meeting/exceeding monthly productivity, quality, customer satisfaction, and resolution rate targets and finding ways to improve KPIs, guidelines, and processes
- Uphold the values of Thumbtack
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience in BPO, shared services, or similar industry preferred
- 1-2 years experience in customer service with at least 6 months exposure in SMS, Chat, and Email is preferred
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to empathize and build rapport with customers to provide a great and effortless experience
- Ability to build and gain the customers' trust and confidence by understanding their concerns and resolve problems efficiently
- Excellent critical and analytical thinking skills
- Ability to assimilate a variety of information and make logical/consistent decisions
- Ability to prioritize tasks in order of importance and manage time effectively to ensure deadlines are met
- Comfortable navigating multiple systems and getting up to speed quickly with our online tools
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced tech startup environment
- Proficient with the primary Google suite tool such as Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Calendar, and etc.
- Knowledge on technology and online service industry
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.