You are a business-minded commercial attorney seeking a senior role on a small and mighty legal team. You enjoy collaborative roles where you can work closely with other teams to advise upon, draft, and negotiate a variety of outbound commercial agreements for both domestic and international deals. You execute on commercial projects aimed to enable the business and make the commercial legal review process more efficient.
This is a unique opportunity to take a lead role on a growing and dynamic legal team and support new strategic commercial initiatives.
- You will partner with Business Development Executives, Account Executives as well as Operational Executives to draft, review, and negotiate contracts for complex commercial transactions, including customer contracts, non-disclosure agreements, and novel partnership contracts.
- By balancing the business’ needs and requirements with business, customer or vendor timelines, you will find creative solutions in negotiations to address impasses and close deals.
- Participate in customer calls to answer questions about our commercial standards, our product, our privacy practices, and our operational norms and policies.
- Advise internal business clients on company policies, negotiation strategy, and legal issues and risks.
- Mentor other attorney(s) on your team.
- Coordinate and collaborate with colleagues from our billing, support, and security teams to efficiently resolve commercial matters.
- Help drive the creating and improving our standard form agreements, draft new templates for complex partnerships, revise playbooks, and streamline legal processes as needed as we develop new products and enter new international markets.
- Exercise sound judgment when negotiating key business and legal terms that balances business objectives and legal risks.
- Occasionally collaborate with outside counsel on complex or third-party paper deals, as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Professionalism in team and external stakeholder interactions and communications, including honesty, integrity, respect, and nondiscrimination in keeping with an organization with a mission to promote women’s diversity, equity and inclusion in society and the workplace.
- Demonstrated experience with developing and cultivating strong partnerships with wide range of disciplines: business strategy, insights, sales, supply chain, along with interfacing with customers, solution partners and industry subject matter experts.
- Drafting contracts, whether for a one-off deal or a new template, from scratch.
- Demonstrating a commitment to excellent client service, even in tough negotiations.
- Finding creative solutions in deals, even if they aren’t immediately apparent.
- Self-starter that requires minimal oversight and the ability to prioritize based on business need and does this by working independently on various deals under end of quarter pressure, and knowing when to ask for help, for a second opinion or for the prioritization of activities.
- Striving for the right balance between partnering with business stakeholders; while developing, maintaining, and enforcing company-wide processes and procedures to be followed.
- Finding ways to provide practical business and legal guidance to random questions from any and all corners of the business, relating to areas of the law that you’ve never worked on before.
- Rolling up your sleeves to learn the technical details of our product inside and out.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of demonstrated success in a commercial legal role, and a passion for doing it for a long while yet.
- 7+ years of legal experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to pick things up at lightning-fast speed, and work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Sound judgment, including ability to calibrate for when we need a quick-and-dirty response, versus a deep dive to get something exactly right.
- Experience in the non-profit and global events business a plus.
- Basic fluency in privacy law (this is the one that will get you the most bonus points).
- Ability to not take yourself too seriously.
- Licensed to practice law in the US, strong academic record, and membership in at least one state bar.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to sit, walk and stand; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; and lift up to 25 pounds with reasonable accommodations., if needed.
- Nearly always works indoors.
- May on occasion be exposed to sounds and distracting noise levels, such as from office equipment.
AnitaB.org envisions a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies that use it. To achieve that vision, we connect, inspire, and guide women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. As a mission-driven nonprofit, we seek to expand communications about the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and promoting solutions to these issues.
AnitaB.org is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment.