Slack is looking for an exceptionally talented and pleasant attorney to join our legal team. This position will be responsible for various legal-related matters involved in selling our products, partnering with others to make Slack better and used by more teams, and ensuring our own people have the best information and tools when doing their jobs.
You’ll work closely with our Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, and Go-To-Market teams, leading legal negotiations and giving advice at all levels of the organization. This is a special opportunity for the right candidate. And we’re nice.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements to support customer sales with both startups and public companies. Your primary focus will be on SaaS subscription agreements, software licenses, data processing agreements and order forms. Use your experience gained from supporting hundreds or thousands of commercial transactions to help define business terms and structure deals in the most optimal way.
- You’ll provide input on processes and policies to help drive our growth and capture new learnings. Then, iterate again.
- Provide practical, decisive guidance to Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, and Business Development teams that balances business objectives and legal risk, taking into account companies policies and positions.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry, commercial, open source, IP, privacy, employment, and other laws, regulations, and developments to be able to give the most effective advice.
- Provide input on contract processes to optimize interactions with our Accounts team.
What you should have
- 7+ years experience working on different kinds of commercial transactions (e.g., SaaS, IP licensing, software licensing, product resale and distribution, working with contractors, outsourcing, facilities, etc.) matched with deep experience on the types of transactions you’ll see most often (see above).
- Experience working with regulated industries (e.g. federal/state government, education, financial services, healthcare, etc.) is highly preferred.
- Comfortable negotiating data processing agreements, and related privacy documents including a working knowledge of GDPR as it relates to commercial contracts
- Ability to draft documents, policies, emails and anything else in a very precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-lawyers. It’s a cliché, but attention to detail really is a must.
- Experience supporting a high volume Sales organization with commercial contracting matters.
- A confident, effective and positive negotiator who can lead the process, focus on important issues, and efficiently bring deals to a favorable close.
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly expanding and changing as we grow our business, learn more about our customers, and figure out what works best and what doesn’t.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and communicated well.
- Entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and escalate issues when needed.
- Substantial understanding of intellectual property, licensing, privacy, data security and commercial laws. Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of Slack and our industry, with an eye towards aligning decisions with the bigger picture goals.
- Ability to work cross-functionality with different departments to reach consensus on whether to accept non-standard contract terms. Ability to contribute to, and iterate on, contract playbook of fallback terms.
- JD required. Bar admission and in good standing in at least one state.
- Eager to chip in wherever and whenever help is needed. Good at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams. Oh, and you should like being a lawyer!
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.