The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
Customer Marketing is a division of the VMware Global Marketing organization, dedicated to initiatives encompassing Customer Advocacy, Customer Loyalty, Customer Experience and Strategy, Operations and Planning, including marketing insights and intelligence. Working with the Customer Marketing team, you will collaborate with dynamic colleagues to source, create, edit, publish and promote compelling stories for internal and external consumption targeting specific VMware customer audiences and personas.
If you enjoy writing stories about how innovative organizations use leading-edge technologies to unlock their greatest potential, you will feel right at home. If you’re a curious, creative and capable writer seeking a real-world opportunity to develop and hone your craft authoring and editing customer stories, newsletters, web and multimedia content, Customer Marketing is where you belong.
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over 6 months of your internship you will work toward completing?
Throughout your internship, in addition to collaborating with other members of the Customer Marketing team, you will work closely and meet frequently with a senior copywriter who will mentor and support your work. You will interact with your mentor on a daily basis, and meet weekly to review your project workload and progress. In addition to providing valuable experience working in a global marketing organization, your internship yield a project and a body of work to add to your portfolio.
Within 30 days of joining the team, you will:
- Develop a project plan with your mentor outlining at least three primary goals you expect to realize over the course of your internship
- Acquire a working familiarity with the VMware solutions catalog and the content presented on VMware.com and on the company’s social media channels
- Understand and demonstrate competence with VMware editorial style and trademark guidelines
- Complete several shorter internal editing projects to hone your editing skills and prepare you to create audience-focused content
- Learn to repurpose existing content to build new assets
Within 45-60 days, you will:
- Complete several longer editing assignments (i.e., case studies, social media copy, video text)
- Develop at least 1-2 original story narratives based on existing content
Within 60-90 days, you will:
- Create at least one original story based on your own research and phone or video interviews with one or more subject-matter experts
- Begin building a body of work for a professional writing portfolio
At 90 days and following, you will:
- Learn to scope your own projects and schedule your workload
- Refine and deepen your research, interview, writing and editing skills
- Develop a writing portfolio for external presentation
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Work closely with and interview colleagues in sales, customer success, customer advocacy and customer loyalty to source and develop content for stories
- Understand how to use market and product research to build substantive content for your customer stories
- Develop an understanding of persona to create finely-honed messages that resonate with target audiences
- Learn to solicit feedback and perform reflective self-assessment to improve your editing and writing skills
- Edit a steady stream of customer stories written by others, from material created in-house to material completed or written by agency writers
- Create customer stories of varying length and complexity, from repurposed content to material you research and write independently
- Prepare a writing portfolio for your ongoing learning, professional development and presentation
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Marcy Fancey, Director of Strategy, Operations and Planning for the Customer Marketing team in the Global Marketing organization. Kitty McChesney, Customer Storyteller/Creative Writer/Editor, who reports to Marcy will directly guide your internship experience, including negotiating project scope with team members from Customer Marketing whose projects you will develop.
Where is this role located?
Remote: this role is fully remote and can be done anywhere in the United States. This means it could be done anywhere with a strong internet connection and limited distractions. VMware policy empowers employees to work from wherever they feel most productive and healthy whether from home, a VMware office, or the coffee shop.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
Category : University and Recent Grads
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-09-16
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.