- one of the UK's most popular small business finance apps with over 100,000 customers. We help small businesses sort out the mess and the stress of managing their business finances
- loved and adored by customers. We have an NPS of 70 (which is considered "exceptional")
- rated ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ on Trustpilot. See what customers say
Make a difference 💫
It's an exciting time in the accounting and banking space. We're seeing a revolution in the fintech industry and government initiatives such as Making Tax Digital and Open Banking are opening up new features and products for customers.
The technology in this space is changing rapidly and at FreeAgent we're working at the cutting edge. We're focused on providing the best possible user experience for our growing customer base.
Creating the best place to work 👩🏽💻
We're normally found in our amazing office in central Edinburgh (one of the great cities of the world), and our work environment is light and bright with inspiring spaces and quiet places. If you're based in the office you'll enjoy catered lunches every Friday, weekly yoga and many other perks and treats. Find out more about life at HQ here!
Currently the whole team is working remotely although we’re well set up to accommodate this as around 40% of our team normally work from home on a permanent basis. We’re continuing our hiring and onboarding, as well as finding alternative ways to stay connected and enjoy activities together from our virtual art club to exercise challenges and cake decorating competitions. See how we’ve been getting on!
The Role 👷
Finance is a very visible department at the heart of the organisation and the key focus for the Finance team is to ensure the finances of the Company are managed in a proper and efficient way and to ensure compliance with the various statutory and regulatory governance standards the company operates under.
This role is for a 6 month period on a fixed-term contract basis. As the Financial Controller, you will hold a senior role within the wider Finance team and be actively involved in achieving the key outputs expected from a role of this seniority. Responsibilities include managing the day to day work of the finance assistant as well as dealing with all technical monthly financial workloads which ultimately form part of the internal and external financial reporting. You will be expected to work closely with the interim CFO to develop your own professional understanding, although you will also be confident working independently.
- Accounting for development costs under IAS 38
- Working capital and Cash management
- Ownership of the Balance Sheet reconciliation process for all nominal codes, ensuring monthly reporting deadlines are strictly met and full backup is available to support balances.
- Monthly review of the Profit & Loss Account with detailed cost & revenue analysis undertaken.
- Complete other regular month end tasks accurately and timely, including revenue recognition, fixed asset management and processing of month end journals.
- Running the monthly payroll, processing all related journals for team benefits and pension scheme and working closely with the People Operations team to ensure everything is captured.
- Monthly management reporting including but not limited to management accounts, finance and company outcome scorecards.
- Reviewing Financial Controls throughout the organisation to ensure a robust environment is in place to effectively and efficiently manage all financial data for accurate and reliable reporting.
- Direct line management of finance team members, ensuring workloads are completed timeously and to the required standard and supporting the development of these team members.
- Tax and VAT compliance.
- Managing National Statistics returns to timetable to avoid any financial penalties for non-compliance.
- Ownership of annual statutory account production and presentation under FRS101 ensuring compliance with current rules in place.
- Dealing with auditors during the process to ensure timetable is adhered to and deadlines are met.
- Fortnightly sales reporting against forecast/budget for use in internal management meetings.
- Being a trusted business partner and being very visible across all departments of the FreeAgent team, with regular interactions with the People Operations, Sales and Product & Engineering team.
- Building constructive relationships with auditors and other external key stakeholders to ensure the business is supported to run as smoothly as possible.
- Involvement in the budget cycle and ongoing forecasting exercises. Providing financial insight and assistance to the CFO as required.
- Input to ad-hoc tasks as they may arise across the business, helping to make FreeAgent a great place to work
We're looking for:
- An understanding of the culture & dynamics within a high growth, fast moving technology company or similar.
- An ability to handle several competing priorities and maintain good organisation ahead of deadlines
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills; in particular, be able to build strong collaborative relationships across internal and external stakeholders.
- Ideally experience of a SaaS business and interpreting SaaS metrics.
- Working knowledge of Netsuite would be advantageous.
- Computer literate with an excellent understanding of Excel functionality, some experience of Google Suite would also be of benefit.
- Detailed payroll knowledge to assist People Operations and our external payroll bureau with the monthly payroll process.
- Working knowledge of FRS101 and its application to statutory accounts.
- Professionally qualified with a minimum of three years post-qualified experience, ideally with some experience in a similar senior financial role.
- Fully competent in production of various VAT returns.
- Previous line management experience preferred.
Annual salary £50,000 - £60,000 per annum depending on experience, plus competitive benefits package. We provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind. You can read more about these on our website.
Applying for the role ✍
Our application process is simple: just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity.
Our selection process includes a phone call with a member of our friendly talent team, followed by a technical exercise and a video interview. We work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible.
We really care about building an inclusive and diverse team and we welcome applications from people with varied backgrounds and perspectives. We want to make sure that the people who build FreeAgent reflect our diverse customer base and bring with them a range of ideas and experiences. What unites us is an openness to suggestions and a drive to solve problems in the best way possible.