Fleetio is a modern software platform that helps thousands of organizations around the world manage a fleet. Transportation technology is a hot market and we’re leading the charge, with raving fans and new customers signing up every day. We recently raised a $21M Series B round and are on an exciting trajectory as a company.
We are looking for a product-minded, hands-on Software Engineering Leader with a strong passion and experience leading people. This is a hybrid role that offers a good balance between hands-on contribution and leadership. The ideal candidate is someone who has the ability to lead a small team of engineers to achieve product delivery goals and help them grow their careers.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to stay hands-on while following your passion to be a people leader. You will wear multiple hats depending on the situation such as - engineer, leader, coach, mentor. This role is hugely impactful in helping shape Fleetio's engineering culture and individual careers. So, if you like making a positive impact on people and building great products, this is the role for you!
More about Fleetio
- Fleetio overview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlvIbwZT3oU
- More about the Fleetio platform: https://www.fleetio.com/features
- API docs: developer.fleetio.com
- Test drive Fleetio to get an even better feel for what we're building: https://www.fleetio.com/register
This is a remote role and is open to candidates based in the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
What you'll be doing
- You’ll work closely with Product Managers, Designers, and other leaders to ensure your team has clear goals and direction.
- You will maintain a healthy culture within the team, that is in line with company values and our engineering philosophies.
- You will collaboratively design and architect features, refactor as necessary and write elegant and performant code.
- You will also conduct weekly 1-on-1's with your direct reports to ensure good morale and address any needs.
- You will participate in team meetings as necessary (business and technical). We place great emphasis on NOT conducting ineffective, unnecessary meetings and are an advocate for focus times. At the same time, we expect our leaders to attend, participate in team meetings that we believe are important for the flow of information that will help them (as a leader) provide timely context to your team.
- You will help with recruiting efforts by participating in the hiring manager screen, leading team interviews, and ensuring the team provides meaningful feedback.
- You’ll have a strong voice in the development and planning processes, so senior-level experience is key.
What's in it for you
- Be a part of an incredible team of “A” players who go above and beyond to make Fleetio a successful company. You will build software used by people all around the world. So many different types of companies and organizations operate a fleet each day, and Fleetio is a good fit for most of them (it’s a huge market).
- Work remotely (within the United States, Canada or Mexico), or at our Birmingham, AL HQ. Over 80% of our Engineering Team works remotely (including our CTO), and we have promoted a strong remote working culture since the beginning (2012).
- We place great emphasis on work/life balance. We have families and hobbies and know you do, too.
Our Engineering and Product teams are structured as autonomous squads that execute within one focal area toward a defined product vision. We're hardcore believers in easy-to-use software and our main goal as Product Engineers is to quickly and continuously deliver meaningful value to our customers. We've optimized our CI/CD tools and processes to get code into our production environments easily, resulting in an average of 40 deploys per week.
- Check out our Engineering culture page: https://www.fleetio.com/careers/engineering
- Watch our culture videos: https://fleet.io/culture
- Proven experience leading a software engineering team
- Strong track record leading engineering team(s) to consistently deliver quality software
- History of exercising sound judgment and decision-making
- Strong passion and experience in coaching, mentoring engineers
- Ability to bring people together and create an environment that breeds trust and respect for each other.
- Proven full-stack development experience with Ruby on Rails, React (or similar front ends libraries/frameworks), Postgres
- Experience solving challenging architecture problems with good design
- Excellent communication skills (particularly written)
- Be sure to mention "coffee" in your application so we know you read this
Considered a plus
- Experience with ReactJS, TypeScript
- Experience with Tailwind or CSS-in-JS frameworks
- You know a thing or two about the Fleet industry
- 100% coverage of employee health and dental insurance (50% family)
- 401(k) + match
- Company stock options
- Vision, STD & LTD
- Dependent Care FSA and Medical FSA
- Generous PTO, Company Holidays & Floating Holiday
- Maternity/Paternity leave
- Community service funds
- Mac laptop
- Professional development funds
- Health and wellness incentives
- Remote working friendly since 2012 #LI-REMOTE
Not quite what you were hoping for? Check out our other engineering roles here.
For Non-U.S. based candidates, Fleetio offers a country-specific competitive benefits package.
Fleetio provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
This application is not intended to and does not create a contract or offer of employment. Employment with Fleetio is at will.
If you have a disability or a special need that requires an accommodation to fill out the online application, please let us know by calling (205) 718-7500 or emailing email@example.com.