Betterment for Business is a 401(k) service built from the ground up with the needs of the modern employee in mind. It's selected by employers who want to offer their employees tailored and smart financial advice that will help them create a more secure future. Betterment for Business is powered by Betterment's proprietary, smart technology that automates and optimizes asset allocation to enhance financial wellness. As a fiduciary that is independent of the funds it invests in, Betterment believes that everyone has the fundamental right to expert financial advice. In addition to the core investing services, Betterment’s platform includes Betterment Everyday—Betterment’s cash management suite which offers a checking account, debit card, and high-yield account. Headquartered in New York City and created by the largest independent robo-advisor, Betterment for Business is used by leading employers like Casper and Boxed. For more information, visit www.betterment.com/401k.
401(k) plan administration services provided by Betterment for Business LLC. Investment advice to plans and plan participants provided by Betterment LLC, an SEC registered investment adviser. Brokerage services provided to clients of Betterment LLC by Betterment Securities, an SEC registered broker-dealer and member FINRA/SIPC. Betterment LLC and Betterment Securities are affiliates of Betterment for Business LLC.
About the Role
Are you a process-driven problem solver who loves checking items off your to-do list? Do you thrive on turning inefficiencies into seamless processes? Does making complex tasks efficient and intuitive energize you? Do you seek to help scale solutions that aim to delight and empower clients?
Betterment for Business, Betterment’s 401(k) product, is seeking a detail-oriented operations associate with a passion for 401(k). This role is part of the Operations team within Betterment for Business. This team is the go-to group for 401(k) operations and compliance and are keen on iteration and efficiency. You will be joining a group of individuals that empower each other to take ownership, lead the charge to create solutions that last and who motivate others to always keep the common goal in mind. For us, that goal is providing an exceptional experience to our 401(k) clients.
This role is remote eligible. Colorado has an annual starting salary of $58,500, a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of an incentive bonus. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience.
A Day in the Life:
- Play an integral role in the annual compliance testing season for 401(k) clients by learning the ins and outs of IRS provisions and meeting regulatory deadlines
- Review 401(k) plan documents and provide thoughtful design recommendations, and draft pre-approved plan documents
- Drive daily plan sponsor and participant-focused operations, including reviewing and processing key account transactions, assessing recordkeeping discrepancies and resolving plan sponsor or third-party administrator questions
- Collaborate with the Client Success and Servicing teams to provide a unified and delightful client experience
- Ensure adherence to current procedures and controls, and make recommendations to improve efficiency and scalability
- Use creative problem solving skills to tackle operational challenges, investigate why they happened, and collaborate with the engineering, product, and design teams to develop solutions
- Be an internal voice and champion for 401(k) processes to offer insights to Product, Design, and Engineering to help build a better product
What We’re Looking For:
- Experience in 401(k) retirement industry (designations e.g. DC-1), financial services or related fields
- A detail-oriented mindset with excellent organizational skills
- Comfort handling multiple priorities at once and problem solving on the fly in a creative and holistic manner
- A proactive approach in reimagining existing processes to make them better
- Effective communication skills and experience working cross functionally with client facing teams or stakeholders
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality
- Demonstrated proficiency in both Google Suite and Microsoft Office
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to email@example.com
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.