Sparkfund is an energy technology platform company based in Washington, D.C. built to enable leading brands to deliver new offers to their customers across resilience, decarbonization & electrification. Our partners use our platform to capture new growth in the energy services market, differentiate their existing end-customer offerings, increase the lifetime value of customer relationships, and more efficiently manage capital structuring, risk appetite, and ongoing servicing. We deliver solutions through a flexible range of commercial structures, from fully managed subscriptions, where we handle everything from installation to ongoing maintenance and repairs, to simple installations for customers who prefer to manage systems themselves, to the monitoring of existing equipment for fault detection and replacement recommendations.
We enable our customers to focus on their core businesses. Sparkfund’s mission is to combat climate change through healthier buildings and transportation. We strive to create positive change by deploying solutions that are good for business and good for the planet. We’re building a diverse and collaborative culture to help us achieve all of that.
We are looking to hire an engineer with a strong technical background in mechanical systems capable of the skills necessary to collect, analyze, and subsequently present designs, scopes, and cost estimates. In this role you will be primarily responsible for working with our sales team and contractors in the design, application, and sale of HVAC and building automation systems for commercial, industrial and institutional buildings. You will be responsible for engineering complex systems and preparing technical solutions to satisfy customer needs.
What You Will Be Doing
- Determining project needs, constraints, and responsibilities to meet all of the client’s HVAC and related system design and installation requirements
- Listening to and learning from our customers to gain an understanding of their needs and challenges
- Providing knowledge and consultation in the form of developing HVAC and related solutions, completing engineering calculations
- Collaborating with internal and external partners and vendors to compile system implementation and operating cost estimates
- Effectively writing, communicating, negotiating value, and managing bids with customers, vendors and contractor partners
- Performing on-site energy efficiency audits/assessments on mechanical systems, controls systems, and lighting systems, and other energy using equipment
- Simultaneously managing multiple, ongoing, projects at varying stages of development
- Reviewing construction plans and specifications to determine applicable product conformance
- Assisting in purchasing negotiations by analyzing competitor pricing and technical specifications
- Bachelor's Degree in either Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning industry experience
- Thorough understanding of HVAC principles
- 6 - 9 years of HVAC application, energy services or related experience is a plus
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and relationship building skills
- Experience working on and calculating energy savings for energy efficiency projects in commercial, industrial and/or public facilities
- Ability to travel nationally approximately 30-50% of the time
- Competitive compensation and stock option plans - we believe in radical shared ownership
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, vision, and dental insurance; pre-tax commuter benefits; disability and life insurance
- Flexible vacation policy that encourages ~4 weeks of paid time off
- We honor all of the federal holiday, and believe in long weekend. Sparkfund is closed every Friday before a Monday holiday as well.
- 8 weeks gender-neutral paid leave for caregivers when they have a new addition to their families
- A company laptop and any other hardware you need
The following are a plus but not a requirement:
- Engineer in Training (EIT)
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM)
- Certified Cost Estimating and Analyst (CCEA)
- Controls Engineering work experience
We Want You To Know*
You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described above. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We are dedicated to environmental stewardship, and recognize we need diverse perspectives to successfully tackle this massive challenge. To change the world, we must first change ourselves, which is why Sparkfund has created a space that sources viewpoints from people who look and think differently.
We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we're taking steps to meet that commitment.
We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations