Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Accounting Team
The Accounting Team is involved in all aspects of the business ensuring we properly capture, account for, and record all the activities that occur as they occur. We keep the books and records for the Company, help to ensure Thumbtack has appropriate policies and procedures in place, and provide the business with the information in order to make critical decisions in support of Thumbtack’s success.
About the Role
As the Senior Accounting Manager, you’ll have the exciting opportunity to work across the business interacting with business partners, management, and customers. You will manage the monthly close process, report to the assistant controller, and help manage financial reporting requirements. You’ll get to grow with a team and have team support while getting to make a huge impact on implementing new systems and processes and putting in place controls to aid the Company in maturing.
- Be responsible for month-end accounting close process, including posting journal entries, maintaining account reconciliations, and other reporting requirements to ensure compliance with U.S. GAAP, and external audits
- Support quarterly/yearly audits including the preparation and review of supporting reports and documentation, directly interact with external and internal auditors to ensure resolution of any issues and timely completion of the audit.
- Ensure revenue is accurately recorded, including appropriate revenue allocation. Manage revenue reconciliation through cross-functional collaboration with our Data and Product teams
- Assist with the implementation of ASC 842
- Participate in developing and maintaining strong internal controls, ensuring quality controls over all transactions and reporting as well as drive process improvements and scalable solutions
- Collaborate with various functional leaders within the Company to support the accounting close process and to drive trend analysis
- Assist in technical accounting and reporting research activities as well as other ad-hoc projects
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we’re looking for someone excited to join the team.
- A CPA with 8+ years of experience in accounting, including public accounting firm experience
- 4+ year degree in accounting
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills with an ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Self-motivated- able to think independently, creatively, and opportunistically
- Strong analytical and organization skills, with impeccable attention to detail
- Experience with NetSuite is a plus
- Experience within a public company environment
- Experience working for a tech company
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.