The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
Working within the SEBU OCTO Edge Innovation team, you will be prototyping and exploring the next generation of SASE and Edge computing products. You will work closely in collaboration with the SEBU SASE and Telco teams to bring new product concepts to life, and to extend and enhance the infrastructure that delivers key Network and Edge services to our customers around the globe. If you are intellectually curious, a self-starter who likes taking on new challenges and learning new technologies, and you’re not afraid to experiment in the pursuit of building something great, then you are in the right place. The SEBU OCTO Edge Innovation team is a small, focused group of engineers that works across a broad portfolio of technologies, partnering both internally and with customers, to prove out and develop new technology and product concepts at the forefront of the SASE and Telco markets. The breadth of technologies and products we interact with offer great opportunities and flexibility to pick an area to lead, or to move around at will expanding your knowledge as you grow.
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- Within one month of employment, you should expect to ramp up on the key technical stacks and set up your dev environment. Expected to build up a working knowledge of at least one of our key technology areas and be familiar with code check-in, code review, and development process.
- Within three months of employment, you should be comfortable in browsing the code base independently and working with leads for various components to understand and define small features. You should expect to work with other members of the team to deliver at least one small feature as part of one of our existing prototype projects.
- Within six months of employment, you’ll demonstrate at least one early prototype concept developed in collaboration with other members of the team.
- Within a year of employment, you should be the team’s expert for the technologies you own, comfortable with the products, and able to help define new projects and areas to explore. You should be able to take full ownership of a project and drive from design to implementation.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
Your regular activities may vary depending on the projects and technologies you are working with at any given time, but you can expect a variety of the following assignments:
- Working collaboratively with other members of the team to define microservices architectures for current monolithic applications and to convert those applications
- Defining CI/CD pipelines for the build, packaging, and deployment of containerized workloads in public and private cloud, as well as on-prem environments and novel form factors
- Building Kubernetes clusters to host various prototype projects
- Building tooling and infrastructure for auto-scaling, health monitoring, self-healing of our containerized infrastructure
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Gary Gitelson, a seasoned software engineering leader who has been with VMware for about 6 months now. Gary is a strong proponent of empowering his team to pick up a complex problem, iterate and innovate, and own their outcomes from concept to delivery. The team has a broad skillset and a flat structure, with each team member taking on ownership or expertise for a set of technologies, and then collaborating with others to deliver on a complete prototype or architecture. The team encourages experimentation and is not afraid to try something that might not work or try many different approaches to a problem to find the right solution. We encourage constant learning, exploring new technologies, and then finding ways to bring those technologies to bear on problems facing SEBU and our customers. We are the team looking out beyond what the engineering teams can focus on, and helping to determine where SEBU technologies can and should go in the future. The team works in close collaboration with many of the other teams throughout SEBU to shepherd these concept projects through development and into deployment with the SEBU engineering team.
Where is this role located?
This role is based out of VMware’s Palo Alto Campus, but also open to US-based remote candidates.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-10-21
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.