As the Sustainability Engineer, Packaging & Operations, you will help set the standard in terms of packaging and supply chain efficacy and sustainability. You will be a natural collaborator, with knowledge of supply chain operations as related to GHG and energy reductions, water use and waste management, as well as emerging packaging technologies, material research and circular packaging development to inspire teams and management on the framing and execution of sustainability technologies and programs. You will help lead and execute our zero-packaging waste to landfill and net-zero initiatives to meet our ambitious goals through maintaining a vibrant internal and external network across different functions in the business.
- Define, measure, track and improve environmental impacts of material selection, manufacturing processes, recyclability and life cycle of packaging design choices, with strong focus on consumer needs and sustainability impact
- Develop and maintain a professional knowledge of new or emerging trends in packaging technology with a focus on sustainable materials and recyclability for personal care and food-related packaging
- Partner with consumer brand packaging teams to guide sustainability in packaging innovation that drives us further to meeting out 2024 zero-waste to landfill goal and improve our environmental footprint
- Research and provide data and guidance on incorporating sustainable solutions into supply chain operations
- Successfully manage and monitor progress of zero-waste and net-zero campaigns to ensure objectives are delivered on time
- Help set up and co-chair the Amyris internal Sustainability Council
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent technical degree such as chemical or mechanical engineering with experience in sustainable supply chain and operations
- 3-5 years' proven industrial engineering, packaging experience, ideally within beauty, cosmetics, personal care sectors
- Knowledge of production, manufacturing, product integrity & production cycle timelines
- Proficient use of Microsoft Excel, data management, and tools for extracting insights from data
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to communicate complex issues to diverse audiences and constituencies
- Excel both independently and as part of a team and to manage multiple projects simultaneously, from conception to implementation
- Ability to operate effectively in a fast-pace, complex and often changing environment
- Demonstrated industry knowledge (emerging trends and concepts) and experience with material environmental impact, waste management and other sustainable development topics and best practices
No Compromise Beauty™
Biossance is a clean beauty brand that uses biotechnology to create skincare products that are effective, sustainable and safe. We formulate with a No Compromise™ approach—proudly blacklisting over 2,000 potentially harmful ingredients. Only the most trustworthy and powerful make our final cut.
It all began inside our Berkeley labs in 2003, where through biology and modern technology a plant-derived cure for malaria was created. Since then, over 120 million royalty-free treatments have been given, saving lives and communities. Inspired to keep positively changing the world through biotech, we turned to the ingredients people use on their bodies every day. And we asked how we could do better. Drawing on our rich history of science and sustainability, we create skincare products that are incredibly effective and safe without harming the environment. Because our standards for clean beauty are high—and our standards for ourselves are even higher.
Biossance products are available at Biossance.com and Sephora.
At Amyris, we believe that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) is essential to our core values. We embrace and encourage an equity-minded work culture, knowing that it is the driving force of innovation that positively impacts our employees, consumers, and communities. And for Amyris, a sense of belonging is what drives our mission forward and is the foundation of everything we do, ensuring a healthier, more sustainable future for us all.
Make Good, No Compromise.
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at firstname.lastname@example.org
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.