Freelance Writers, Weird History
We are looking for talented writers who are ready to research and write for our Weird History vertical! This is a great opportunity to write for a leading entertainment site, in the top 50 of all websites in the United States. Our Weird History Facebook page has over 7 million followers.
Here are some examples of the type of writing we love that we’ve published recently. Some are in-depth, researched lists with lots of text, while others are shorter, more visual/meme based roundups. We’re looking for people who can create either or both:
This is a paid, remote, cold assignment gig. Candidates will be compensated for their work on a per-article basis, based on the length of assignment and level of research required. We'd prefer for you to create anywhere from 10-15 lists/week.
Here’s what you’ll need for us to trust you with tons of assignments:
- Advanced, thorough research skills.
- Writing chops that enable you to create an article about anything in a clear, informative, fun way.
- Experience freelance writing for a site similar in scope to Ranker.
- Broad, comprehensive knowledge of history, such that you can easily think of 15+ items for any list we assign you.
- General familiarity with Reddit, Tumblr, social media, and other internet forums.
If this sounds exciting, here’s what we need from you:
- Resume and completed application
- Cover letter giving color/examples of how you meet and exceed the qualifications listed above. And yes, we are looking at your cover letter to get an idea of your writing style, so smart, funny letters really stand out.
- List of history-related topics you are interested in writing about: please be as niche as possible, as we’re always looking for writers that have really unique interests.
- Any links to your online writing portfolio (optional)
Ranker is a data-driven media company, the #1 online destination for opinion-based, crowdsourced rankings of everything. The company’s technology is centered on user engagement, turning its lists into the “best possible rankings” via the wisdom of crowds. A Quantcast Top 50 site, Ranker attracts more than 30 million monthly unique visitors, and outperforms almost every other publisher in time-on-site per visit. As a result, Ranker is a treasure-trove of consumer sentiment data with more than 250 million votes gathered to date on over 100,000 unique items, generating a deep and precise interest graph which the company is launching as a B2B tool in 2016 to augment the existing ad-based business. Ranker is headquartered in Los Angeles, California.
Ranker will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring