Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to large, Fortune 100 enterprises with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.8 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
As the Director of Corporate Strategy, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the future direction of Upwork. You will collaborate closely with Finance leaders and Upwork’s executive team to develop strategies that drive growth, enhance competitiveness, and further our overall mission. This position requires a versatile leader with excellent analytical and communication skills and a proven track record in strategic planning, competitive analysis, and market evaluation. You will report to the Vice President of Strategy and Operations and interface with leaders throughout Upwork.
- Develop our competitive strategy, driving research and communicating learnings about the landscape with leaders throughout our company.
- Evaluate and size market and customer segments, identifying growth areas for the company.
- Form strategies and business cases to pursue high potential opportunities raised by yourself and other Upwork leaders.
- Research and illuminate key trends affecting our business, laying out options and potential plans for addressing them.
- Consult with leaders across the company to make highly-informed and strategic plans and decisions aligned according to a unified strategy.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Proven track record in a corporate strategy role at a technology company, preferably as a Director or similar position.
- Previous experience in management consulting or related field requiring a high degree of analytical and strategic rigor.
- Strong problem-solving skills with a deep understanding of competitive strategy, market sizing and opportunity evaluation.
- In-depth knowledge of market trends, industry best practices, and emerging opportunities in technology and/or work industries.
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate across departments.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and compelling manner.
The annual base salary for this position in California and Washington ranges from $175,000 - $240,000. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salary for this position in California and Washington, and individual base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. Additionally, this position is eligible for the annual bonus plan or sales incentive plan and eligibility to participate in our long term equity incentive program.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 19 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
At the core of our vibrant culture are shared values that form the foundation of our organization. These values revolve around trust, risk-taking, customer focus, and excellence. Our overarching mission is to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster an environment where individuals are encouraged to bring their authentic selves to work, nurturing personal and professional growth through development opportunities, mentorship programs, and participation in Upwork Belonging Communities.
We take pride in providing exceptional benefits to our employees. These include comprehensive medical insurance coverage for both you and your family, unlimited paid time off, a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. To explore these benefits in detail, as well as gain insights into our company values, working principles, and the overall employee experience, we invite you to visit our Life at Upwork page.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
To learn more about how Upwork processes and protects your personal information as part of the application process, please review our Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice