Director of Financial Reporting
What’s so interesting about this role?
Grindr is looking for an experienced accounting and finance professional with diligent focus and accuracy to help ensure the financial transparency and health of our company. As the Director of Financial Reporting at Grindr, you will be a key member of our Finance & team. This role is responsible for the integrity and accuracy of quarterly SEC Form 10-Q and annual SEC Form 10-K filings. This role requires an aptitude for thought leadership SEC filings and oversight of financial reporting standards and requirements, including quarterly filings and reporting strategy.
The responsibilities will include key accounting and financial functions. Most critical will be internal and external financial reporting while also improving accounting analytics, connecting the dots of accounting results to underlying operational drivers, supporting month end close and improving accounting operations (ERP systems and process).
What’s the job?
SEC Reporting-Compliance and Technical Leadership
- Lead the preparation of financial statements, including Income Statement, Balance Sheets, Statement of Equity and Statement of Cash Flows
- Ensures that reports, filings and documentation comply with company's regulations, professional standards, and SEC and GAAP reporting guidelines.
- Research guidance and prepare accounting analysis and work with external auditors to gain concurrence in key areas, including but not limited to leases, investments, equity compensation, and revenue recognition
- Monitor of accounting policy and financial reporting trends within the industry as well as emerging guidance from regulators and proactively communicate impact to Finance leadership
- Prepare and document accounting policy positions, procedures and control environment and communicate positions to the broader finance and accounting teams
- Prepare footnote disclosures and support
- Prepare result of operations explanation in MD&A
- Lead and prepare flux analysis for auditors and for internal use for MD&A
- Manage filings and documentation in Workiva
- Enhanced proficiency of assigned areas with the ability to re-assess current practice and propose process improvements as needed.
- Partnering with the Technical Accounting team to perform accounting and disclosure assessments of related areas.
- Act a trusted business partner and advisor to various stakeholders within Finance and across the company including Investor Relations, Legal, FP&A, Tax, and Treasury.
- Proficiency in analytical skills demonstrating an understanding of how transactions impact the financial statements, and the relationship between financial statements.
- Proven self-initiated problem-solving skills.
- Established leadership role amongst team peers and junior staff, providing oversight of daily activities related to 10-Q and 10-K.
- Contribute to setting the tone and direction of the SEC Reporting team to meet team goals and objectives and serve as thought leader for SEC reporting strategies and provide guidance to team members.
- Support the annual audit and quarterly review activities with external auditors.
- Forward-looking identification of potential issues and disclosure impacts when working with stakeholders.
- Support month-end close process.
- Lead and cross train on key accounting cycles including revenue and payable cycles.
- Lead and support process and system improvements
- Other projects/tasks as assigned
What we'll love about you
- 10+ years of experience in accounting with at least 5 years in publicly traded company
- Functional experience with Oracle Fusion highly preferred, NetSuite experience a plus
- Combination of public and private accounting experience preferred
- CPA is required
- Prior experience in managing and developing employees
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related major is required
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and financial reporting
- Basic understanding of US tax systems
- Extremely proficient in Excel
- Detailed oriented, result driven, resourceful, comfortable with ambiguity, ability to work cross functionally
- Strong communication, interpersonal skills, organizational and time management skills
- Technology and/or media experience highly preferred
Base salary is an important part of the overall compensation package, but there is so much to love about Grindr
- Mission and Impact: Grindr is the world-leading LGTBQ social networking service. Your role will impact the lives of millions of LGTBQ people around the world
- Remote First: We have satellite offices in LA, NYC, and Chicago, and are remote first across the US and Canada. More than 30% of our employees work outside of cities where we have satellite offices
- Family Insurance: Insurance premium coverage for health, dental, and vision for you and partial coverage for your dependents
- Retirement Savings: Generous 401K plan with 6% match and immediate vest in the US
- Compensation: Industry-competitive compensation and equity
- Queer-Inclusive Benefits: Industry-leading gender-affirming offerings with up to 90% cost coverage, access to Included Health, monthly stipends for HRT, and more
- Additional Benefits: Flexible vacation policy, monthly stipends for cell phone, internet, wellness, and food, one-time home-office setup stipend, and company-sponsored events
Grindr is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The base pay for this role is between min $150,000 and max $210,000. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, location, and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role will also be eligible for equity and benefits.
Since launching in 2009, Grindr has grown into the world’s largest social networking app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. We have millions of users who use our location-based technology in almost every country in every corner of the planet.
Today, Grindr proudly represents a modern LGBTQ lifestyle that expands into new platforms. From social issues to original content, we continue to blaze innovative paths with a meaningful impact for our community. At Grindr, we create a safe space where you can discover, navigate, and get zero feet away from the queer world around you.
As of June 2020, Grindr has new owners with a track record of multiple successful Bay Area start-ups. The new leadership is demonstrating a renewed commitment to creating an experience for users that is safe, fun, and productive, as well as a positive & uplifting company culture in which everyone can be their best selves. At the heart of Grindr’s mission in this new chapter is a shared set of core values including transparency, accountability, experimentation (failing fast), and strong allegiance to the LGBTQ community.
Grindr is an equal-opportunity employer