Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications below, please still consider applying. We believe in a holistic approach when evaluating talent for our team.
Metabase is the easiest way for people to get insights from their data, from tiny startups who get up and running quickly to major corporations with tens of thousands of users. That's why people love us.
We bring data tools with the elegance and simplicity of consumer products to the crufty world of enterprise business intelligence. We provide an opinionated open source starting point for how companies should measure, analyze and share their data, which is used by tens of thousands of companies.
We built Metabase because existing tools for business intelligence didn’t feel like things we wanted to use. We wanted faster, simpler ways to ask questions about data, and wanted to strip away the colder feel of most Enterprise software. Folks seemed to agree, and now Metabase is used daily by tens of thousands of companies to give people in all sorts of roles access to insights they wouldn’t have otherwise had. None of this could happen without our user interface and that’s where you come in. We’re looking for someone with strong product sensibilities, extraordinarily good frontend skills, and solid software engineering fundamentals to join our team to advance the state of the art in our product and our industry.
We are hiring for multiple Engineering Manager positions.
- Build a culture of continuous improvement to improve the cadence of execution, quality of work, and happiness in the engineering org.
- Find, attract, hire, onboard, and nurture top-level engineering IC talent.
- Coach individuals, tune processes, remove obstacles, and optimize the environment to continuously increase the speed of iteration.
- Work closely with Product, Design, and Customer Success to appropriately plan and scope engineering projects that execute on the product roadmap, balancing feature development, tech debt and acceleration projects, and bug fixes.
Skills and Experience
- Strong written and verbal communication, with a bias to written communication to support async processes in a fully remote and distributed team.
- 2+ years of engineering management experience or equivalent (you can demonstrate skill at key aspects of building and improving an engineering team, and supporting and developing people's careers).
- Ability to debug project execution to identify issues and changes to one or more of people, process, and project scope.
- Strong product sensibilities - you can critically navigate product proposal docs and Figma designs and translate them to engineering requirements that span the Metabase product stack, and identify and mitigate risks to building them.
- Strong technical background in one of: Clojure or Frontend (React + Typescript) ecosystems.
We're a global team (50% outside the US), fully distributed (from Thailand to California), who get things done asynchronously, with plenty of uninterrupted time, supporting each other to do the best work of our careers. We offer flexibility (define your own schedule and work from wherever you want), autonomy, and an environment that fosters growth, learning, and development. We're relentlessly user-focused and believe in building long-term value, not short-term hacks. And we raised a $30M Series B to take our approach to the next level for years to come.