At Northstar, we're making it easy for everyone to access affordable, personalized financial advice. We believe that financial wellness starts with a single paycheck. That's why we work with leading companies to provide 1-on-1 financial advisors and personal finance tools as an employee benefit. Northstar’s financial wellness program helps employees make the most of their total compensation, and helps companies support their teams at scale through onboarding, open enrollment, equity, events, and more.
We've raised more than $40M from investors including GGV Capital, PayPal Ventures, Thomson Reuters Ventures, Canvas Ventures, M13, Foundation Capital, and Workday Ventures. Our employer customers include Zoom, Snap, NerdWallet, Superhuman, Virgin Orbit, and more.
Financial Planner overview
We're looking for people who are excited about our vision and mission. We're redefining the category of financial wellness, and have passionate customers who can vouch for this. As a Northstar Planner, you will work with clients 1-1 to help them achieve their financial goals and break down the barriers to receiving actionable financial advice. You will manage a book of business across multiple employers and help your clients reach their financial goals by providing individualized financial advice.
What you'll do:
- Build customized financial plans for clients to prioritize paying off debt, saving, and investing.
- Analyze client's cash flow, goals, and financial position to give them advice on how to improve it.
- Give actionable advice for clients to improve financial health, maximize employer benefits, and compensation.
- Proactively ask and answer questions for clients, to provide both financial and emotional support.
- Deliver advice primarily through an internal chat-based feature and through video/phone consultations with clients.
- Support fellow planners on complex planning cases and internal training/development.
- As a Northstar financial advisor, we consider you part of the product team. We want to hear from you how we can use technology to make the customer experience better.
Who you are:
- You hold a CFP® designation.
- Passionate about our mission of making financial wellness accessible to every individual.
- Ability to support the client and build a trusting relationship over a text-based interface.
- Prior experience planning for customers in all stages of life.
- You are empathetic, kind, and emotionally intelligent. You know when to take a quantitative logical approach and when to take an emotional approach.
- Operate with a high level of autonomy.
- Excellent writing skills and oral communication.
- In addition to being a top financial advisor, you are also a product-thinker, innovator and always looking for ways to improve how Financial Planning is done.
- Previous experience working at a startup, thriving in ambiguity.
- We're mission-driven. We founded Northstar on the belief that every person deserves the best objective, personalized, and affordable financial management. We don't make money from secret referrals fees, and are completely aligned with the customer.
- We've hit an inflection point with product-market fit. We have passionate, paying customers, and are scaling quickly.
- Our cross-functional team is uniquely suited to solve this problem. Titles are fluid, where everyone contributes to solving a problem in their unique ways.
- We invest in the personal and professional growth of every team member.
- Competitive salary, equity, 401k, Northstar service, and benefits like 12 weeks paid parental leave to support your whole life.
- Unlimited vacation and time off policy, and a strong work-life balance.
- Budget to set up or improve your home office.
- We are 100% fully remote.
For this role, the estimated base salary range is between $78,000 and $94,000. The listed range is a guideline and the final salary will vary based on your skills and readiness for the role assessed during the interview process. In addition to base salary, the compensation package may include flexible time off, equity in Northstar, sales incentive pay (for most Revenue roles), 100% employer paid benefits premiums, a 401(k) match, and unlimited access to your own Financial Planner.