Common is a global residential manager making city living easier for renters through the thoughtful use of technology and design. Common delivers exceptional experiences for thousands of residents across coliving, microunits, and traditional apartments. Founded in 2015, they are the preferred choice for residents looking for stress-free city living from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. Habyt, the biggest co-living operator in Europe and Asia, and Common, the largest co-living operator in North America, joined forces at the beginning of 2023 to create the leading global co-living company. The combined entity brings to life a next generation of living concepts operating worldwide. With locations in over 40 cities and 14 countries, across three continents, the combined entity will operate over 30,000 units that vary from co-living, studios and traditional rental apartments.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
As the People Partner (NAMER), you will serve as a trusted advisor and strategic partner to our North American business units. You will collaborate closely with leaders and managers to understand their unique needs. You will align People initiatives with business objectives in order to drive organizational effectiveness. This role is pivotal in delivering People solutions that enhance employee engagement, development, and retention.
Communication and collaboration will be key for this role as you will work very closely with the rest of the people team as well as all of our people leaders, handling confidential questions and concerns quickly and effectively.
This a remote opportunity available for those residing in New York, Illinois, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, California, or Florida only.
- Business Partnership: Develop strong relationships with business leaders and managers to understand their goals, challenges, and needs; act as the primary point of contact for People-related matters within your assigned business units providing excellent customer service and promptly address questions and concerns
- Strategic HR Planning: Collaborate with business leaders to align People strategies and initiatives with the company's strategic objectives; provide insights and recommendations to improve talent management and organizational effectiveness
- Talent Management: Partner with our Talent Acquisition team on workforce planning, recruitment, and onboarding; support performance management, talent development, and succession planning efforts
- Employee Relations: Address employee relations issues, conduct investigations, and provide guidance to resolve workplace conflicts; promote a positive and inclusive work environment through effective communication and conflict resolution
- Compliance and Policies: Ensure People policies and practices comply with relevant employment laws and regulations; advise business units on HR compliance matters and support policy implementation; oversee their management of workers compensation claims and the reasonable accommodation process
- Data-Driven Insights: Analyze People metrics and data to identify trends, opportunities, and areas for improvement; use data insights to drive informed decisions and propose HR solutions
- Employee Engagement: Collaborate with business leaders to enhance employee engagement and satisfaction through various initiatives; support employee feedback mechanisms and action plans
- Change Management: Assist in change management efforts related to organizational restructuring, mergers, acquisitions, or other major initiatives; provide guidance on communication and transition strategies
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or a related field
- 3+ years of experience as an HR Business Partner or similar HR role in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Experience with non-exempt/hourly employee populations in a multi-state company is a must
- Strong understanding of HR best practices, employment laws, and regulations
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build effective relationships at all levels
- Strong ability to make well-informed decisions and maintain the highest level of confidentiality
- Highly organized, meticulous about detail and accuracy, and motivated by process improvements
- Strategic mindset and the ability to translate business needs into HR strategies
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Proficiency in HRIS systems and data analysis tools (BambooHR and Paylocity a huge plus)
- HR certification (e.g. PHR, SPHR) is a plus
- $90,000-$95,000 annually based on experience
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.