Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
What’s the Role?
We are looking for Mid-level and Senior Security Engineers at to join our Security Engineering Function.
As a Security Engineer at Xero, you’ll ensure our platform security systems are deployed and maintained to support the requirements of our teams.
You’ll be hands-on solving problems at scale in a massive AWS environment. In time you'll become deeply familiar with the capabilities of our vendors to build and support modern and adaptable security services that will delight our customers.
We run mission-critical infrastructure, and you’ll build resilient and scalable systems. Automation will be the standard for you, and you’ll seek new and interesting ways to reduce our operational overheads. Most importantly, you’ll be a team player and get to work with an awesome group of engineers in an amazing and unique working environment.
If you have knowledge of network security fundamentals and exposure to WAF & CDN technologies, we would love to hear from you!
Meet The Team
The Edge team is one of three Security Engineering pods made up of Edge, Defence and Asset. The vision of the edge team is to secure Xero’s edge with innovative technologies that deliver availability and scalability.
We’re responsible for designing, maintaining and servicing tools and infrastructure that defends against threats from entering or spreading through Xero's network infrastructure. We’re looking for an Engineer that will help us create automated security processes that empower product teams to build #beautiful secure software.
While we don’t require you to have worked with our tech stack previously, what is important is you are happy to learn and work with it.
Generally, the technologies we work with are:
- AWS is our main cloud provider, however knowledge of Azure and GCP is beneficial
- WAF technologies; Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) such as Akamai and/or Cloudfront
- Python scripting and automation tools such as Terraform
- Check Point firewall products
- NGINX or other Web Service Products
- JSON, YAML, and AWS Cloudformation templates
What you'll do:
- This is a hands on, on the tools role; you’ll be the focal point where technical decisions meet strategic thinking.
- Day to day you'll develop software and automation as agreed with the team, help to develop and maintain documentation, and participate in the 24/7 oncall roster as required.
- Regardless of your skill level, you'll be part of a team with a strong sense of collaboration; sharing knowledge, coaching and mentoring other team members.
- Work with other Xero Security Teams and Product teams to ensure that any escalated incidents and problems are resolved in a timely and comprehensive manner.
What you'll bring:
- Previous experience in a security engineering position, ideally in an environment that uses AWS and DevOps principles
- Knowledge of network security fundamentals and exposure to Firewalls, WAF, and CDN technologies
- A keen desire to mentor and grow others, whilst staying up to date with all industry trends
- Any experience or knowledge around automation tools and/or Python scripting would be a plus
What we offer:
- Employee Share Plan, alongside an additional 5 annual Leave days, PLUS bonus holiday Leave.
- Wellbeing leave, Parental and Partner Leave, Life Insurance and Private Health Insurance.
- Flexible working arrangements and weekly social events.
Xero is continuing to grow and so are the opportunities to join us! You can choose to perform this role:
- In one of our #beautiful offices (Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane)
- Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
- Permanently remote from within Australia!
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. Our goal is to make sure you feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for this role and Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.