If copy is the bridge between our product and the world, excellent copy is like the Brooklyn Bridge or Venice’s Ponte De Rialto.
Good copy communicates what our product does; excellent copy educates widely, evokes a feeling, establishes our brand’s point of view, and takes root in the mind of the reader.
Good copy might describe Mercury as a bundle of financial services; excellent copy would evoke, in just a few words, that Mercury is banking* for whatever you might be building— a home for a startup’s money where they can send currency around the world, issue cards with custom permissions, and get a taste of banking with a touch of magic – from that first check to millions in revenue
Come help us write excellent copy.
As our newest copywriter, you’ll help tell Mercury’s story across platforms and polish the high-quality work we do (take a spin on our demo site and try the product for yourself).
*Mercury is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by Choice Financial Group and Evolve Bank & Trust®; Members FDIC.
Some things you’ll do:
- Work cross functionally with product and marketing teams to shape the language that informs people’s first impressions of Mercury and seamlessly carries them onward through the customer journey
- Craft impactful, empathetic copy that speaks to founders in various places and formats, including webpages, email, digital ads, blog posts, billboards, guides, and social media
- Partner closely with product marketers to refine messaging, accurately communicate value props, and connect product narratives across channels
- Collaborate with visual designers to find the most effective way to deliver a message using copy and design
- Think creatively about the introduction of new formats — e.g., podcast and video — to evolve Mercury’s storytelling
- Learn, question, and enhance the Mercury voice, while seamlessly flexing tone as appropriate
- Think deeply about how the words we choose reflect our values
The right person can come from a variety of backgrounds, but we think that these qualities would help:
- You have at least 3-5 years of experience as a copywriter for a startup or ecommerce brand, and understand the tech ecosystem well enough to detect what type of language should be used where
- You have a strong ability to prioritize, work independently, and execute quickly
- You’re incredibly organized and are capable of balancing multiple projects at once
- You know how to work with editors and iterate on feedback
- You have strong opinions about language and grammar, including the use of Oxford commas (yes), exclamations (rarely), and em dashes (abundantly)
- You have a knack for distilling complex topics into engaging, useful copy and content
- You appreciate the Mercury brand: intuitive, refined, with a dash of intrigue
The total rewards package at Mercury includes base salary, equity (stock options), and benefits.
Our salary and equity ranges are highly competitive within the SaaS and fintech industry and are updated regularly using the most reliable compensation survey data for our industry. New hire offers are made based on a candidate’s experience, expertise, geographic location, and internal pay equity relative to peers.
Our target new hire base salary ranges for this role are the following:
- US employees in New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, or the San Francisco Bay Area: $163,500 - $192,300
- US employees outside of New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, or the San Francisco Bay Area: $147,200 - $173,100 USD
- Canadian employees (any location): CAD 148,800 - 175,000