Wonolo (Work Now Locally) is disrupting the $140BN temporary staffing industry. Founded in 2014, Wonolo's mission is to help people find consistent work. Through our two-sided tech marketplace, we connect hundreds of businesses in need of front-line workers with over 1 million underemployed workers in local markets across the United States, within minutes. Wonolo empowers the in-demand workforce by democratizing access to flexible work, opportunities to learn new skills, a living wage, and comprehensive portable benefits and perks.
We are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to help Wonolo scale the foundation of a platform that allows businesses to fill their on-demand staffing needs within minutes, and helps workers find flexible jobs that fit their schedule. In this role you will build and scale the infrastructure that supports smooth product releases, and champion performance and reliability. This is a great opportunity to work with the latest best practices in an engineering team that is highly supportive of doing things the right way.
We welcome qualified candidates located anywhere in the United States and Canada #LI-Remote.
What you'll do:
- Establish a standard of high availability and reliability for Wonolo's production systems
- Influence the direction of our technical roadmap
- Create and administer infrastructure -- cloud services, hosts, monitoring tools -- for highly reliable and scalable web applications and data stores
- Build automated tooling to configure and maintain our systems and services
- Participate in an on-call rotation
Projects you might work on:
- Implementing spot auto-scaling for our Nomad hosts
- Improving our deploy pipelines
- Leveraging Kubernetes for our data pipelines and more
- Testing our cloud infrastructure with InSpec
- Designing our CDN (content delivery network) strategy
- Investigating Prometheus and Thanos
Who you are:
- You are knowledgeable in configuration management with a framework such as Chef, Puppet, or Ansible
- You are comfortable with AWS, UNIX/Linux (we use Ubuntu), and have experience with database administration (we use Postgres and Redis)
- You have strong understanding of containerization software
- You are proficient with one or more programming languages like Ruby, Python, or Go
- You are inclined to automate, but can discern when automation isn't the best solution and present alternatives
- You strongly believe in the importance of security and enjoy the idea of partnering with engineering to ensure the integrity of our customers' data
- You demonstrate a commitment towards advancing representation and inclusion
Nice to haves:
- You are experienced in continuous integration practices and tools (Jenkins, Travis CI, Teamcity, CircleCI, Buildkite etc.)
- You are curious in nature, browse HackerNews, star/fork/contribute on GitHub, and keep yourself busy learning every week
Technologies we use and those we are exploring:
- AWS (EC2, Aurora Postgres, KMS, SSM, SNS, Route53 etc.)
- Chef, Test-Kitchen, InSpec
- Quay, Artifactory, Harbor
- Hashicorp (Consul, Nomad, Terraform, Vault)
- Sensu, Prometheus, Grafana
- Fabio, nginx, Envoy
- Ruby on Rails
Benefits and perks:
- The opportunity for growth in a mission-driven and well-funded start-up
- Meaningful equity and company bonus
- We pay 100% of the medical/dental/vision insurance premiums for you
- Generous parental leave plan
- Cell phone reimbursement and company laptop
- Access to continued learning, unlimited access to Udemy for Business sponsored by Wonolo
- Retirement plans as well as life and disability insurance
- We encourage a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible schedules, an open vacation policy, and the ability to work from anywhere in the U.S. or Canada (no more commutes!)
- Team outings, happy hours, company off-sites, and more!
Wonolo is a two-sided job marketplace that serves over 1 million front-line workers, providing them access to flexible and consistent job opportunities across the United States within minutes, at companies such as Peloton, Coca-Cola, Neiman Marcus, Papa John's, and thousands more.
We are a remote-first company with 200+ full-time employees, and quickly scaling our team within the United States, Canada, and Latin America. We are well funded and backed by leading investors including Sequoia Capital, Bain Capital, and Leeds Illuminate, among others.
Learn more about us:
Wonolo is a Great Place to Work-Certified company for delivering a consistently high-trust experience for all employees. We value representation and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment. We provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees.
Inc. Magazine's Best Workplaces 2022 (Medium to Large)
#24 in Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2021 (Small and Medium)
#12 in Fortune's Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021 (Small and Medium)
Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Equity, and Belonging
Wonolo welcomes you as you and celebrates our collective diversity. We work to serve the underserved, and we are built on the strength of our entire community. We are especially interested in candidates who represent different cultures, perspectives, and backgrounds as these empower our team to come together to make the best decisions and the biggest impact.
Wonolo is an equal opportunity employer. We work to ensure all people feel supported, empowered, and connected at work. A big part of this effort is through our support for members and allies of Employee Resource Groups such as Whammies of Color and Allies at Wonolo (WoCAW), Women of Wonolo (WoW), Parents of Wonolo (PoW), and People Out at Wonolo and Allies (POWA). Individuals seeking to work at or with Wonolo are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Wonolo Privacy Statement
By providing your personal information and/or submitting your application, you agree that Wonolo may use your personal information for the purposes of carrying out its recruitment and hiring process, which may include, but not limited to, reviewing your qualifications, verifying your information, communicating with you about the recruitment process, and retaining your personal data as otherwise needed for recruitment-related activities.
Information you provide Wonolo as part of the recruitment process is accessible only to those Wonolo employees and other third-party service providers involved with Wonolo's recruitment, interview, and onboarding process. Wonolo does not disclose your personal information to any third party in a manner that would be considered a sale under applicable laws. By providing your personal information as an applicant for this position or any other position at Wonolo, you agree that your personal data may be transferred and/or disclosed to Wonolo's third-party providers. This may include transfers to servers and databases outside the country where you provided Wonolo with your personal data.
This position is not open to applicants residing in or otherwise based in the State of Colorado or New York City. The work location is flexible if approved by the Company, except that the position may not be performed remotely from within the State of Colorado or New York City.