Senior Payments Accountant
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to large, Fortune 100 enterprises with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.8 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
The Senior Payments Accountant role will report to the Senior Manager, Payments Accounting. This position will be responsible for supporting the monthly close process, preparing cash reconciliations and journal entries related to platform operations. They will also be responsible for operational support of platform functions including cash management and bank transactions.
This Accountant must maintain strong and relevant accounting principles to ensure accurate and timely reporting. This position addresses tight deadlines and a variety of activities including cash management, transaction processing, month-end close and audit support preparation. A successful candidate will have excellent attention to detail.
● Owning/completing key high volume weekly cash account reconciliations, utilizing advanced excel skills and system reconciliation tools
● Prepare and record journal entries of cash activity for month-end close
● Processing and accounting for foreign currency transactions and related hedging programs
● Prepare month end reporting schedules and flux analysis for management reviews
● Assisting with treasury related financial modeling
● Owning new and improving existing processes through key performance indicators and automation
● Monitoring liquidity and maintaining cash balances for operations
● Assist with preparation of audit schedules and allocation of intercompany expenses
● Be a part of special projects such as new product offerings, including the design and implementation of key finance systems, close efficiency and management reporting
● Excellent communication and organization skills is a must for this position
What it takes to catch our eye:
● 1-2 years of Big 4 or similar experience
● High volume cash reconciliation experience
● Advanced skills with Excel and Blackline
● Treasury, fintech, payments and/or banking background is a plus
● Experience in a Public Company and Sarbanes Oxley (Sox) compliance
● Marketplace or technology industry experience
The annual base salary for this position in California and Washington ranges from $80,000 - $125,000. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salary for this position in California and Washington, and individual base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. Additionally, this position is eligible for the annual bonus plan or sales incentive plan and eligibility to participate in our long term equity incentive program.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 19 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. And oh yeah, we've also got amazing benefits - including medical insurance for you and your family, unlimited PTO, 401(k) with matching, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and a generous Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about our benefits and the employee experience.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
To learn more about how Upwork processes and protects your personal information as part of the application process, please review our Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice