Our everyday digital experiences are in the midst of a realtime revolution. Whether attending an event in a virtual venue, receiving realtime financial information, or monitoring live car performance data – consumers simply expect realtime digital experiences as standard. Ably provides a suite of APIs to build, extend, and deliver powerful digital experiences in realtime for more than 265 million devices across 80 countries each month, supporting organizations like Toyota, Bloomberg and Hubspot.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. The opportunity in front of us is immense. But we can’t rest yet. And we’d like your help. As Ably enters its next stage of growth, we’re looking for talented and curious individuals to help us build and deliver the platform to power synchronized digital experiences in realtime for one billion devices every week by 2024.
About the Developer Education & Documentation team
Thousands of developers around the world use Ably's SDKs and APIs to power realtime capabilities in their applications. The Developer Education & Documentation team drives educational outcomes that ensure that developers have the skills they need to build and operate those realtime applications quickly and efficiently.
About this role
As a Technical Writer, you will be responsible for creating and editing content that serves the needs of a highly technical audience. You’ll help raise the bar for others by offering thoughtful feedback on their work and act as an advocate for developers using Ably. You’ll also help improve learning outcomes as part of a global team, and collaborate with other content developers, product managers, engineers and stakeholders.
Day to day you will
- Educate and provide instruction. You’ll break down complex topics by writing concise and intuitive explanations of Ably’s technology and features.
- Produce engaging educational content. You’ll produce new content such as tutorials, documentation, demos - or other formats we haven’t even thought of yet! At Ably we believe it’s important to consider multiple learning styles for different types of learners.
- Improve product outcomes. You’ll identify with the needs of developers using Ably, acting as an advocate for their perspectives, to provide insight to internal teams to help shape product development.
- Learn about Ably. You’ll develop a broad understanding of the Ably product and the problems we’re helping developers to solve, so that you understand how best to educate our audience. You are not alone in this; you will be joining an established team who are there to coach you, share ideas and work together!
We’d love to hear from you if you have
- Previous success as a technical writer creating documentation for technical audiences, specifically software engineers and developers.
- Familiarity with APIs, SDKs, modern web development tools and cloud platforms including AWS, GCP or Azure.
- An entrepreneurial mindset and a bias for action where you can work in a self-directed manner, but you are also a strong team player across teams.
It would be nice, but not essential if you have
- Experience using git-driven workflows for managing changes.
- Experience in an early stage VC-backed startup where things can move quickly.
- Some knowledge/understanding of event-driven architecture.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team. We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at ably.com/careers and read the story of how Ably's core values came to be (ably.com/blog/ably-values).
Ably is a remote-first company and we strongly believe in life before work and encourage our people to find a balance between the two.
We recognize that each person is different and will want to be supported in different ways which is why our benefits (ably.com/ukbenefits) are there to help you focus on your needs today and prepare you for your future.
Amongst other things, we offer a generous holiday allowance, private healthcare and significant learning and development opportunities, and provide access to numerous wellbeing resources. We’re proud to do whatever it takes to care for Ablyans and their future.
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging at Ably
We believe our differences as individuals is what makes us great. Our people are at the heart of what we do, and we encourage everyone to be their most authentic self at Ably: we see inclusivity and openness as fundamental to creating long-term success as an organization. We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race, religion, educational background or neurodiversity. Ably has an amazing opportunity ahead of us, and we want anyone to be able to contribute to that opportunity.
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the job description exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.